SPAY & NEUTER INFORMATION
It is the law in the City of Waco that all animals be spayed/neutered and microchipped. The surgery is included in your adoption fee at the shelter.
Free spay/neuter and microchip options are availablet to Waco residents by calling (254) 752-SPAY (7729).
If you need help with low-cost spay/neuter options in the area, contact the Animal Birth Control Clinic or call them at: (254) 776-7303
- Your pet will be happier. If you care about your pet’s happiness, spaying or neutering is one of the kindest things you can do for them. Unfixed pets
- Your pet will be healthier. Medical evidence proves it! In females, spaying helps prevent uterine, ovarian, and breast cancer which is fatal in about 50% of dogs and 90% of cats. Females spayed before their first heat (4-5 months old) are the healthiest, but it helps at any age. For males, especially if done before 6 months of age, it prevents testicular cancer and prostate problems.
- Your pet will live longer. Because they are healthier (see #2), spayed and neutered pets have a significantly longer average lifespan. Also, neutered pets are also less likely to roam or fight (see #4), lengthening their lifespan.
- Your spayed female won’t go into heat. This means you don’t have to deal with blood staining, yowling, and the more frequent urination – which can be all over your house! Female felines usually go into heat four to five days every three weeks during breeding season. That’s a lot of mess and noise!
- Your male pet is less likely to roam. An un-neutered male pet is driven by strong hormones to mate, and will often turn into a Houdini escape artist to get out of their home or yard, especially if there is a female in heat close by, or sometimes even miles away!
- Your male pet will be friendlier. A fixed male is less likely to want to fight with other pets, even females, who may not appreciate his annoying ongoing advances.
- Your female pet will be friendlier. When a female pet goes into heat, the hormones can make her behavior become erratic. A usually friendly pet who goes into heat can suddenly become aggressive with both people and other pets in the home.
- Marking & humping will be reduced or eliminated. This true is for both dogs and cats, and especially for males. Also male dogs will be much less likely to ‘hump’ other dogs… or people’s legs or your couch cushions!
- It will save you money. Fixed pets have fewer health problems so vet bills are lower. They are less likely to bite, avoiding potential costly lawsuits (80% of dog bites to humans are from intact male dogs). They are less likely to try to escape and do damage to your home or yard, or cause a car accident.
The Humane Society of Central Texas
We are contracting partners with the City of Waco at the Animal Shelter at 2032 Circle Road. We provide adoption, rescue and foster opportunities for the homeless animals at the Animal Shelter, as well as community education regarding responsible pet ownership.
Donate today and help us save more lives. There are so many different ways you can help!
THE HUMANE SOCIETY OF CENTRAL TEXAS IS A PROUD RECIPIENT OF FUNDING FROM MADDIE'S FUND®, HELPING TO ACHIEVE A NO-KILL NATION #THANKSTOMADDIE.